Powered by Blogger.

DIY Faux Headboard: A Semi-Tutorial

Tuesday 21 June 2011

This project has been a long time in the works and I've been super excited about it...even though I didn't know that it would turn out well. I am calling this a "semi" tutorial because not every step was photographed.



I found these two frames at a barn sale last month for $5 each. I thought they were so pretty...but huge...26x38!.

Photobucket

When I found these, I was also trying to find the perfect headboard for our guest room. Do you get where this is going? I had an ephiphany that these might work as a faux headboard in that room. At five bucks each, I had nothing to lose, so I took them home with me.



Patience is not something I am skilled in, so I came up with a plan immediately. I took them upstairs and made sure they would fit. Vertically, they were perfect together for a queen bed! Eeek!



I got out the measuring tape and measured the inside of the frame. I then subtracted 1 inch vertially and horizontally and took my measurement list to Home Depot. I got two of these boards to serve as the backing for the headboard.

Photobucket



Next, I needed to choose fabric. I wanted it to coordinate with the new guest room bedding, but it couldn't be too busy, as the duvet has a lot going on. Here is the bedding...I couldn't figure out how to post the actual picture here...sorry!

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=451722&CategoryID=28892#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D18



I headed to Hancock Fabrics. My first stop is always the remnant bin and che-che check it out...the fabric of my dreams! *choir singing*



Next, I layed the boards on the underside of the fabric and traced with a yellow marker. I'm high-tech like that ;). I cut the fabric to fit the board and to adhere, used Elmer's spray glue

Photobucket



Once the glue was dry, I loaded my boards and frames into the car and went to see if my father-in-law would help with the next step since I'm not proficient with a drill.



Using Gorilla Glue and small screws, we attached the fabric covered boards to the frames. Forgive me...I have a picture of Gorilla Glue, but not of the boards being attached to the frames.

Photobucket



Once that was done, I decided the frames needed a little love. They were not as polished as I wanted to them to look. So I bought some DecoArt acrylic paint in Silver Morning

Photobucket

I should have touched up the silver before putting the fabric on, but I'll know better next time. Using a stencil brush, I lightly painted the silver part of the frame and then wiped it off, using it as a glaze. In this picture, you can see the before and after painting with silver.

Photobucket



Once that was dry, they were ready to hang! And here is the final product...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



It's not perfect, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it! I would love to know if you think it coordinates with the bedding or if it's just too busy?



If you want to do a similar project, here is a list of things you'll need:

1-2 large frames (depending on the size of your bed)

wood cut to fit the frames

fabric of your choice

spray adhesion product

screws and a drill

Gorilla glue

paint and a paint brush (optional)

proper hardware to hang the faux headboard



Would love to see other versions of this!



~Allison





These parties rock!



Visit thecsiproject.com

DIY Club








lil luna link party button

Transformation Thursday



Somewhat Simple Beyond The Picket Fence

A Little Knick KnackThe Shabby Nest



SAS @ Just A Girl





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special




Catch As Catch Can

”Photobucket” UndertheTableandDreaming The DIY Show Off

southern hospitality



Tip Junkie handmade projectsPhotobucket



Sumo's Sweet Stuff




http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/











Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading

Health Education Toddlers The Optical Sensors Second Street Players Find Apartments for Rent Pharmacy Technician Individuals With Bad Credit Calcutta Travel Information Lapaz Travel Singapore Travel Information Get The best of Insurance or Free Credit Report Paintball Liga The shirts and Jackets Design Cafe Public Market Make Money With Patents Working Group on Internet Governance Euro Auto Engineering First Position Search Engine News for Big surf Journalist Writing Design Flooring Printer Software Solution Masks Restaurant European Vehicle Market How to Take Care of Pets Electric Car Technology Animal Service Best Beauty Products North Idaho Tourism Cambria Real Estate Green Flooring Financial Services Home Improvement Contractor Zurich Travel guide Fortlauderdale Travel Package Warsaw Travel guide Florence Travel Package Toronto Travel guide Open Mind Blog News Fashion Trendy Business Prospects Trade Online Where can I Find a Lawyer Winery Websites Design HD Video Converter I'm not a virgin Home and Family Custom Bedroom Furniture Cars and Parts The Sexual Life and Abuse of Children Business Services Chip Card Cafe Public Market Lawyer Requirements Technology Supports Auto Tips Reduce Car Insurance Quotes AXA Travel Insurance Package Travel Legacy Landscape episiotomy and pregnant Transportation Technology Barbecook BurningPedia Restaurant Hood Cleaning Slow Cooker Recipes House Curtains Education of Children Home Improvement Solutions Automotive Engineering Schools How to choose fresh fish cooked Best Horror Films Financial Solutions Credit Loans Life Insurance Loans northstar network Seventeenth Street Cafe The Optical Sensors Commercial Real Estate Problems Bad Credit Loans Problems Bad Credit Loans Bore out Engine Shopping Online Weight Loss Cleanse video art and Craft Design Cheap Wedding Dresses Portal Game Online Property Investment Apartment Property Tax Assistance Aplicaciones iPod Touch Best Professional Carpet Cleaning The Best of Insurance Cheap and Reliable Car Insurance Technology System Home Security Web Designers Hour Miracle Diet Beauty and Cosmetic Criminal Defense Lawyer How Personal Injury Lawyer Economic and Mortgage news Perfect Wedding Accessory The best form of insurance solutions Twitter Service Westerly Lawyers Creare site de prezentare Apollo Global Management Web Design Boston Barbecue Electric Internet Crimes Against Children Turkey Global Business Bridge European Education Technology Terms Auto Parts and Service Medical and Health Real Estate And Security Home Media Education European Trade Business Machining Coolant Security Systems Electric Home Prevent Child Obesity and Diet Program The shirts and Jackets Design Foundation for Children's Education How We Choose Beauty Products Music Orchestra Inspiration STYLEGRID Stanley Insurance