Powered by Blogger.

ASK ME ABOUT SMOOTHIES

Friday 10 July 2009


For two days this week, I was fortunate to work craft service for a TV commercial. Craft service is essentially providing drinks and snacks for the crew and talent on a commercial, TV show or film shoot. I had to provide for 40 people who work long hours and for the most part, appear to live primarily on caffeine and cigarettes. I honestly haven't seen that many people smoking since early episodes of Kojak.

A traditional craft services table is full of bowl upon bowl of junk food: M&M's, chips, candy bars, gum, pretzels and the requisite platter of fruit. Coffee is always percolating and the caffeinated soda always flowing. Crew and talent pop in for a quick fix, something they can grab and go.

Knowing my Real Food bent, my friend Eve, who's a producer on the job, hired me to clean up the joint as they say. She just knew I would do a conscientious job and provide, with care, some real food alternatives.

I knew I wanted to make a difference any way I could. I also knew I had to compromise my values so to speak and provide junk. There would be a major revolt if there weren't candy, cookies, gum, chips and other industry standards at the table. And I'll be honest, it was a little soul crushing to purchase some of that stuff. But my M.O. was strategic if not long range: I was going to present food that would surprise and delight them and maybe even plant some seeds down the road. (Call me delusional, but I prefer optimistic) I created a menu that was great-tasting, beautifully presented and REAL and I did it with pleasure.

The first thing I laid out was falafel from Middle East Bakery. I got wide, clear plastic cups and cut open one falafel ball in each, drizzled it with tahini sauce and topped it off with a cherry tomato, cucumber slice and fork. Total hit!

I also did a Caprese/Pasta Salad on a skewer with cherry tomato, basil, fresh mozz and spinach tortellini and drizzled my mint basil pesto on one batch and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette for the next. Bonafide smash!

Next I made smoked turkey and cheddar sandwiches on mini parker house rolls with dijon and a cornichon attached to the top by a toothpick. Hell, I'm not reinventing the wheel but they were good.

Being the clever lady I am, I also put up a sign on the wall above my table that said, "ASK ME ABOUT SMOOTHIES." I brought my blender and was making smoothies on the spot for people and they loved it. I did one that was frozen banana, organic peanut butter, apple cider and almond milk. (If you wanted to turn it into a milk shake, substitute a fresh banana for a frozen one and vanilla ice cream for almond milk)

By special request I also created my own frozen coffee smoothies: just blend cooled coffee, organic half and half, agave nectar and a ton of ice. Take that Starbucks! Addictively delicious and without a trace of corn syrup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading

Health Education Toddlers The Optical Sensors Second Street Players Find Apartments for Rent Pharmacy Technician Individuals With Bad Credit Calcutta Travel Information Lapaz Travel Singapore Travel Information Get The best of Insurance or Free Credit Report Paintball Liga The shirts and Jackets Design Cafe Public Market Make Money With Patents Working Group on Internet Governance Euro Auto Engineering First Position Search Engine News for Big surf Journalist Writing Design Flooring Printer Software Solution Masks Restaurant European Vehicle Market How to Take Care of Pets Electric Car Technology Animal Service Best Beauty Products North Idaho Tourism Cambria Real Estate Green Flooring Financial Services Home Improvement Contractor Zurich Travel guide Fortlauderdale Travel Package Warsaw Travel guide Florence Travel Package Toronto Travel guide Open Mind Blog News Fashion Trendy Business Prospects Trade Online Where can I Find a Lawyer Winery Websites Design HD Video Converter I'm not a virgin Home and Family Custom Bedroom Furniture Cars and Parts The Sexual Life and Abuse of Children Business Services Chip Card Cafe Public Market Lawyer Requirements Technology Supports Auto Tips Reduce Car Insurance Quotes AXA Travel Insurance Package Travel Legacy Landscape episiotomy and pregnant Transportation Technology Barbecook BurningPedia Restaurant Hood Cleaning Slow Cooker Recipes House Curtains Education of Children Home Improvement Solutions Automotive Engineering Schools How to choose fresh fish cooked Best Horror Films Financial Solutions Credit Loans Life Insurance Loans northstar network Seventeenth Street Cafe The Optical Sensors Commercial Real Estate Problems Bad Credit Loans Problems Bad Credit Loans Bore out Engine Shopping Online Weight Loss Cleanse video art and Craft Design Cheap Wedding Dresses Portal Game Online Property Investment Apartment Property Tax Assistance Aplicaciones iPod Touch Best Professional Carpet Cleaning The Best of Insurance Cheap and Reliable Car Insurance Technology System Home Security Web Designers Hour Miracle Diet Beauty and Cosmetic Criminal Defense Lawyer How Personal Injury Lawyer Economic and Mortgage news Perfect Wedding Accessory The best form of insurance solutions Twitter Service Westerly Lawyers Creare site de prezentare Apollo Global Management Web Design Boston Barbecue Electric Internet Crimes Against Children Turkey Global Business Bridge European Education Technology Terms Auto Parts and Service Medical and Health Real Estate And Security Home Media Education European Trade Business Machining Coolant Security Systems Electric Home Prevent Child Obesity and Diet Program The shirts and Jackets Design Foundation for Children's Education How We Choose Beauty Products Music Orchestra Inspiration STYLEGRID Stanley Insurance